Thursday, May 30, 2019

Gangster-like bad tenant in Ho Ming Wee (Ah How)

This is partly my fault. There was a big room that I wanted to rent out quickly so I didn't do a more thorough check on this Ho Ming Wee aka Ah How. He comes from Ujong Pasir in Melaka. As a result, Ho Ming Wee turned out to be a bad tenant that had the shortest stay of any tenant because I had to ask him to leave shortly after 1 month.

He rented the room from 17th April 2019. From the first day when I passed him the access card and keys, I started having a bad impression. He came late. Not just 10 minutes or 20 minutes late but a good 1 hour late.  He can't really speak English, although he can communicate in bad English in Whatsapp. He did mention that he has a wife before but it didn't occur to me that they also have a baby (as it turned out later, there was more than that). He came with the wife and baby.

One week after Ah How moved in, the other tenants were complaining to me about him. One tenant was telling me that this baby dropped some jelly stuff on the floor causing lots of ants to be crawling on the floor over the jelly stuff. Also the jelly stuff caused the floor to be sticky as people were walking over it. Later, the same tenant mentioned that the baby or Ah How had urine on the toilet bowl rim and didn't clean it so this was causing a stink.

Another tenant was telling me that Ah How really has a attitude problem and behaved like a gangster. He even threatened to go to the police or move out if Ah How continues to be unco-operative and don't clean up after himself after using the toilet or kitchen.

As for me, the landlord, I can't take it when a tenant smokes in the house. Indeed, the other two tenants mentioned earlier saw Ah How smoke in the inner washing machine area balcony. Smoking is a no-no in the house. They even showed me the cigarette butts left on the floor. I went to take a look and indeed there were numerous cigarette butts on the floor. I confronted Ah How but he denied with a gangster-like attitude asking angrily who are those tenants who saw him smoke because he wants to thrash it out with them.

Another thing that irked me was that he had accidentally locked himself in out of the room and since the baby was inside the room, he had to break the door lock. When I found out that the door lock was broken, I told him that he has to replace it immediately. While he said that he will do so on the same day, it didn't happen. After repeated reminders, it took him about 1 week or so to replace it. That is one example showing that he is an untrustworthy person.

Smoking is one thing. Paying rent is another. He was late in paying rent, although I warned him within the first month that if he is late in paying rent, I will ask him to move out. He said okay. When it came to the date when the rent was due, he said that  wasn't able to pay yet saying that he hasn't receive receive his wages or something like that. Then he said that he'll pay on 20th May 2019 after the weekend to which he agreed. 20th May passed by and he didn't pay. Then he said that he'll pay on 21st May after 8 PM after the cheque has cleared. Still didn't happen. So you would expect that it would happen on 22nd May and I told him that if he doesn't pay by then, he has to move out. Then he give other excuse like taking care of his grandmother. He finally paid on 24th May but it was for half the rent. The next day, he gave me the other half.

On 26th May, just as I was leaving the house after checking on it, I saw Ah How come with his entire family. He had two other older children and also a nanny that looked after the baby. And they all came to share the room for 2 nights that I had only intended to rent to he and his wife. Altogether there were 6 people. Even one of the tenants brought it up to me and I agreed.

I talked to Ah How and finally it was decided that he would leave in late May 2019 because I am not going to take any more of the problems and untrustworthiness from him.

Ho Ming Wee's IC number is 860922-04-5177 and his mobile number is 010-5533883. If you encounter him, you know what to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment